Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Inside the Customizer's Studio: Morgan19, Part 2

Welcome back to day two of my interview with Morgan19. A graphic designer by trade, I was curious if and how his work influenced his designs...

How do you feel your graphic design training has influenced your minifigure work? How has LEGO influenced your work as a graphic designer?

"Ask my mom and she’d attest that I’ve always been an artist in one form or another, doodling and drawing whenever and wherever I could. I would say my design background has definitely influenced the LEGO creations I make but not so much the other way around, unfortunately. As a graphic designer professionally since 1999 or so, integrating digital elements into my LEGO creations has been a no-brainer and really helps me 'complete' the creative thought of each. Pairing LEGO with graphic work is also just a really fun, creative way to unwind and let my mind wander at the end of the day while having a nice end product to show for it, too."

If the opportunity to work with/for TLG were to present itself, would you be interested? If you were given the 'keys to the castle' what would you like to try your hand at?

"Ahh, what a delicious subject... TLG has actually posted a few graphic designer positions over the past couple years that I’ve drooled over, but unfortunately they all seem to be in Billund and thus are far outside my geographical comfort zone.

If that were ever an option, I’d love to work on those DK-style 'visual dictionary' books, with big, clear images of LEGO to play with. Box art for sets would be a treat to do, too, although I imagine the revision process could be as heartbreaking to a passionate LEGO designer as it is with corporate graphic design. Regardless, I’d be thrilled if that sort of opportunity ever came my way!"

DK and TLG must of thought his work was worthy of their books. Several of his custom minifigures can be found on pages 92 and 93 of Standing Small, the minifig companion to The LEGO Book.

If you've ever seen Morgan's brick work you can easily see how the DK guides would be appealing. Case in point. Morgan designed a steampunk mech called Dardenbahst. The Dardenbahst was a contest entry, but instead of slipping a piece of poster board behind the model, snapping a pic, and calling it a day, he photoshopped it as a schematic with context and back story. I personally refer to this as 'complete design', where several elements are brought to bear on a piece to enhance the total narrative.

Were are half-way through our series and we haven't even asked Morgan about those pesky action figure parts yet. I guess you'll just have to keep tuning in and wait a little longer...