Thursday, December 2, 2010

Inside the Customizer's Studio: eclipseGRAFX, Part 4

Today is our last day of coverage for our interview with Victor Fernandez (AKA eclipseGRAFX). Before we start I wanted to say thanks to Victor for agreeing to the interview. It was a real pleasure, and I wish him all the best with the new product offerings, which can be seen at his BrickLink store.

Today we will be talking to Victor about his views on the current state of the customization community and what his dream project...

How do you feel about the current state of minifig customization? What needs to change in the community? What does the community need to keep doing into the future?

"I feel like there is a wave rising of more and more customizers or wanna be customizers. You have people like legtaylor who isn't known but by a small group of people for his customizing. HE has a great eye for it but because he d oesn't have the funds for the proper tools his skill level isn't able to grow.

I feel that customizers need more support from the community. I think it is sad that a person spends hours on a custom fig and when he asks how much would you buy it for, the response of $10 is given. Although it is a fun job, the under appreciation of these figs sucks out the joy of making them. Now I am not talking about personal experience but I have seen it happen to some aspiring customizers. Without the funds we can't make more customs.

The community needs to keep voicing their opinions regardless of it being good or bad. I love praise but I respect proper criticism. Without critique there is no way we can grow and improve. I also think customizers should help each other with tips on how they achieve their work. Shobrick is a customizer I have recently started following, and thanks to him I can now make gun and knife holsters."

Who do you look up to in the customization community and why?

"There are so many names to choose from. Morgan19 really helps to break through any creative blocks when I free form. His work is so outside the box that it has a realm of its own. When looking for painting ideas and tips I always turn to JasBrick. I started getting my modding inspiration from Pedro-79. I mean the list goes on and on. I think all customizers can at least help in giving ideas through there creations whether good or bad."

Is there an 'unsung hero' in the customization community today that you think more people need to know about?

"I have been thinking about this question over and over and what throws me off is the word 'hero'. I mean there are obviously many customizers out there, good and bad, but the good ones have mastered some trait that helps them hold on to the top.

'Unsung' though.... I recently came across some of Levork who created some figures for charity. These figures blew me away for thier quality and accuracy. They almost didn't look like decals to me.

Pecovam is starting to rise in his skill level too and making his own style as well. Breaking all the rules of what most customizers hold dear, but doing it in the right way to get the desired results. To clarify what I mean, a lot of people hate altering the main figure parts (head, legs and torso) including myself unless its the only way to get the results Iwant. Pescovam disregards the public's opinion and pushes through to create his figures. He currently is finishing his Reach project and in my opinion those figs are some of the best and most accurate Halo characters I have seen thus far."

What is your dream project, and what stands in your way from going after it?

"I have two dream projects. One is to get my custom business going. Offering high quality products manufactured like LEGO at an affordable price. What stands in my way is only having the funds to do it. I can learn the rest. In the mean time I am trying to raise money slowly but steadily through selling my figs.

The second dream project is Christian figs. The way I envision these figs requires a fabric/cloth designer like MMCB. I only like using high quality parts for my custom figs and MMCB is the best at fabrics that I know of. He is too swamped at the moment to take on new designs that I have in mind. So I am patiently waiting for the right time and person to work on this with. Though I may have found him I don't want to reveal that just yet.

Can you tell us a little more about this project?

"Well the bible says - Matthew 6:33-33 'But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides.'

If I am being preachy I don't apologize, but I hope not to offend anyone.

I am a minister in training as well as a graphic designer. And when I started doing customization I wanted to put God first in what I was doing. You haven't seen any of my Christian figs yet mainly because in MY eyes these need more attention then the rest of my projects. I am looking for a good fabric designer like MMCB who has the time to work with me and do designs to my specs. I also want to get the perfect hair and decals for each figure. I am not happy with ANY of the Jesus figs I have seen out there and other biblical character, if any has ever been made. I also want to go into stop motion films with Biblical stories."

I wanted to say thank you once again to Victor, and I hope everyone enjoyed the interview. I've already started to work with another great customizer to keep this interview series going. By the way...does anyone speak fluent French?