Friday, December 3, 2010

Commentary: LEGO Collectible Minifigures Series 3


Earlier in the week I was fortunate enough to find the Series 3 figures at a local Toys R Us. Now having seen these figures in person, I have to say that I'm very impressed by the details the minifig designers were able to incorporate. Given that I have a full set of figures, I will be working of the next week or so to update the Series 3 guides to make them the best they can be. If you have questions about these items before hand, please just let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Here is just a sampling of the various details I've discovered so far: 
  •  The Mummy and Gorilla Suit Guy both have back print on the torsos, a first time feature for the Collectible Figs.
  • Although the pics of the Fisherman seem to suggest his coveralls are orange, they are actually more yellow in color.
  • The sword for the Samurai is not actually longer than the typical swords of a similar type, but the hilt is octagonal (different from the PoP sword I had for comparison).
  • The hats for both the Rapper and Baseball Player are new molds and very nice.
  • The symbol on the Rapper's hat is a black minifig head with gold eyes. He also has gold teeth and a dollar sign medallion.
  • The Elf is fantastic and will likely be the Spartan of this series. The bow is a new curved 'longbow' design and the 'ears' are molded into the hair piece and printed yellow. Here's hoping this is an indication of a future fantasy adventure line!
  • There's no print on the Cyborg's gun as I previously believed. He is sporting the 'B' on his armor of the Blacktron II insignia.
  • The hairpiece of the Sumo Wrestler is worth the fig itself. The hair piece would pair nicely with the Samurai when his helmet isn't on.
  • There is a pink flower printed on the Hula Dancer's hair piece.
  • There may be a few 'Easter Eggs' on the Race Car Driver. The drivers name, printed on the bottom  of his shirt, also appears to be the name on the Series 2 Traffic Cop's ticket. The 'brand' Stafford Motors is also on the jacket and may be a nod to the LEGO designer Mark Stafford.
I'm likely forgetting a few other details, but I hope to detail all the facts over the next week.
Remember you can track the roll-out on our collaborative Google map, you can call TRU (800-869-7787) to see if item #577997 is in stock in your area, and I've just seen via Toys N Bricks that they are available online at ToysRUs.com!

Good Luck!

Cygnet
Minister of Information
Ugly Duck Command Center
Minifig Nation